Russell Duckworth Greenhalgh      

Servicenumber : S/3455386
Rank : Serjeant
Regiment : Royal Army Service Corps
Unit : Attached to Headquarters Airborne Troops
Date of Death : 17-09-1944
Age : 29
Grave : Plot B. Row 2. Grave 63.
According to the Roll of Honour published by the Society of Friends of the Airborne Museum (Jan Hey 1999 and 2011) Greenhalgh was probably on board of a glider that made an emergency landing near Dongen. He was mortally wounded by German fire after the landing, and died on his way to a Tilburg hospital.
Glider 413 was towed by Stirling LJ-951 of Flying Lieutenant W.M. Stewart. The tow-rope broke due to flak near Breda. 
The authors of the book Operation Market Garden Then and Now wrote about the emergency landing of the glider and the death of Greenhalgh on page 173. They wrote that one of the myths of Market Garden is the story that the full plan of the whole operation fell into German hands on 17 september 1944. According to Generaloberst Student he had the Allied attack order in his possession only two hours after the start of the landings. Student told that the order had been found by a soldier in a Waco glider which had come down near Vught. "The truth is a little different. The glider in question was not a Waco but one of the Horsas bringing Browning's 1 Airborne Corps HQ to Groesbeek, and it did not come down near Vught but near Dongen, some 16 miles further to the south-west. Horsa 413, piloted by Staff Sergeant Jock Campbell and Sergeant David Monk of A Squadron, carried a Phantom GHQ Signals Liaison detachment consisting of Captain Astbury, Lieutenant Prentiss and six other ranks, together with a Jeep, trailer and motorcycle. Forced to land when German flak cut the tow rope, the Horsa came down at 't Broek near Dongen. A gunfight developed with about 40 Germans in which RASC sergeant Russell Greenhalgh (who had hitched a ride in the glider) was killed, after which the other ten men surrendered. Before doing so, they tried to destroy all secret documents, but apparently one was overlooked. This particular paper was not 'the full operational plan', but only the operational order of the 101st Airborne Division".
On the website the memories of David Fulton are published. Fulton was one of the men on board of Horsa 413. "Things livened up a bit as we crossed the Belgian coast cloud and dense flak was reported by the pilots. Within minutes, the turbulence eased and the noise level diminished. The pilot reported that the tow rope had parted, presumably by the action of the flak or turbulence, and that although we were a few miles from the Landing Zone, he would try to glide most of the way. With the weight aboard, the Horsa had all the soaring capabilities of a breeze block and he quickly came back to report that he would have to land well short of the LZ but that he would get us down OK. He was right - the landing was superb with no casualties of either men or machinery. 
On landing, we climbed the canal bank which was only a short distance away. There were some people - possibly farmers - running down to the opposite side of the canal waving yellow handkerchiefs. They warned of approx. 40 German troops at a bridge about half a mile up the canal. Pete Astbury stripped off on swam over to try to pinpoint our position on the map. He then returned for a larger scale map and swam across again by which time the German troops were beginning to surround our position and fighting commenced. The Jerries were throwing 'Potato mashers' at us and the British Sergeant caught the full blast of one of them. One of the lads who was closest to him reported that he had been killed. It soon became evident that we were vastly outnumbered and the American Officer waved the white flag and it was all over. I slipped down the bank and secreted my pocket book and diary under a bush, intending to return for it in the foreseeable future!
Picture: 20-03-2014
Sources: Website CWGC, Market Garden Then and Now, The Royal Air Force at Arnhem and Roll of Honour