|Breda Polish Field of Honour|
|Information from the website www.polishwargraves.nl:|
After the liberation of the Netherlands the Common Wealth War Graves
Commission wasn't prepared to take care of a number of Polish Wargraves. That's why, by the Dutch Government, the care of these graves was trusted into the hands of the Netherlands War Graves Foundation established in 1947.
In 1954 already, mr. J.H.M. Quadekker, chairman of the Committee Holland - Poland, pleaded for the lay-out of a central cemetery for the Polish war graves, but the municipality of Breda didn't react.
Not before 1962 this question was posed again by the Catholic Polish Society and mr. P.W. de Hertogh, being the chairman of the Netherlands War Graves Foundation. Now the municipality of Breda did cooperate by disposing a piece of ground at the Ettensebaan.
A general concentration of graves failed, because the towns of Alphen, Axel, Ginneken and Oosterhout didn't want to give up "their" Polish war graves (150 graves altogether).
On the 24th of July 1963 the Polish Field of Honour at Breda - with 151 graves - was opened. At the ceremony, which was kept secret, only the burgomaster of Breda, the ambassador of the People's Republic of Poland and the garrison commander of Breda were present. No veterans nor citizens had been invited. The burgomaster was afraid of disturbance of order by competing groups.
Altogether, 161 Polish killed soldiers are resting in the Polish Field of Honour situated along the "Ettensebaan" at Breda in 157 graves at this moment.