- Ernest Ager was born in Openshaw, Manchester on 21 August 1911. He
was a son of William Edward and Clara Ager. Ernest had an older brother,
William Edward, an older sister, Annie Beatrice and a younger sister
Clara Victoria. Clara Victoria died in 1938, aged just 23.
- In 1941 Ernest Ager married Florence Sunman Wellock in
- Ager was a member of No. 16 Platoon, C Company. The precise
circumstances of his death are not known and for a long time he had no
- His body was recovered from a
garden in Van Lennepweg in Oosterbeek in 1993 together with that of
Private Douglas Lowery. He was reburied at the Airborne Cemetery on 8
October 1993. Fourteen veterans of the 1st Battalion went to Oosterbeek
to act as bearers and escorts at the funeral service for Private Ager
and Private Lowery. The coffin of Ernest Ager was carried by Tom
Northgraves, Len Scully, Jack Heaton, Ken Briggs, Ron Graydon and Jack
- Ernest's nephew was born two years after his death and named after
him. His widow Florence remarried with a Mr. Livesey.