Update Search About Me Facebook Email

7th Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders

The Regiment
The Seaforth Highlanders was a regiment of the British army associated with the large areas of the northern Highlands of Scotland. The regiment have varied in size from two battalions to seventeen battalions during the first world war. 
The regiment was created through the amalgamation of the 72nd Highlanders (Duke of Albany's Own) and the 78th Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs) as part of reforms of the British army in 1881. In 1961 the Seaforth Highlanders were combined with the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders to form the Queen's Own Highlanders. More recently the Queen's Own Highlanders and Gordon Highlanders were combined to form The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons). In may 2006 all Scottish Infantry Regiments merged to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland. The Highlanders became the 4th Battalion of the new regiment.
7th Battalion during WW II
The 7th Battalion was part of the 46th Infantry Brigade of the 15th (Scottish) Division. They joined this brigade on 15 november 1941 and served there until it was disbanded on 31 august 1945.
The 15th Division was involved in fighting at Caen in Normandy during operation Epsom. Operation Epsom was an attack intended to outflank and seize Caen. It did not achieve its overall objective but forced the Germands to abandon their offensive plans and tied most of their armoured units to a defensive role. Operation Epsom was launched on 26 june 1944. Although held up on parts of the front by infantry of the 12th SS Panzer Division, the 15 the Division and the 31st Armoured Brigade gained four miles on their left flank. On 27 june, after repulsing small armoured counter-attacks, the division gained more ground and captured a bridge over the river Odon. The 11th Armoured Division passed through to capture Hill 112. The first battle for this hill was fought at the end of operation Epsom, when the tanks of the 11th Armoured Division broke out from the bridgehead at Tourmauville. The 23rd Hussars were only able to capture and hold the hill with difficulty. The Germans recaptured the hill. Important surrounding villages were captured by the Allies. In august 1944 the Germans withdrew from the hill. 
The division fought virtualy continuously from then on through Caumont, the Seine Crossing, the Geel bridgehead, Best, Tilburg, Meijel, Blerick, Broekhuizen, The Maas and across the Rhine. On 29 april 1945 they crossed the Elbe river and fought on to the Baltic, occupying both Lubeck and Kiel.  
7th Seaforth Highlanders on 26 june 1944 7th Seaforth Highlanders on 26 june 1944
Carrier of the 7th Battalion in the Leharstraat, Heikant Tilburg
 
 
Name Cemetery Name Cemetery
Thomas William Atkinson Eindhoven James Bennett Mierlo
Charles Birrell Mierlo William Donald Clark Valkenswaard
George Thomas Clarke Sterksel Arthur James Davies Boxtel
Arthur Davies Mierlo William Jones Tilburg
Robert Ormiston Valkenswaard